So, you have started back at university this year?
You’ve probably bought the cook books, packed your bags and even popped along to Ikea for some last minute cooking essentials – but did you remember to learn to cook???
If your skills in the kitchen leave a lot to be desired then fear not; Over the next few weeks “Unipad Luxury Student Homes Lancaster”, will come up with a few favourite student basics that will see you through your term and beyond, as well as saving you money!
Meal Plan 1: Pasta Bake
Gnocchi & tomato bake
Prep: 5 mins Cook: 25 mins:
Easy to make.
A comforting veggie main packed with rich Italian flavours:
Nutrition: per serving:
1 tbsp olive oil.
1 onion, chopped.
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped.
1 garlic clove, crushed.
400g can chopped tomatoes.
500g pack gnocchi.
Handful basil leaves, torn.
Half a 125g ball mozzarella, torn into chunks.
1. Heat grill to high. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan, and then soften 1 chopped onion and 1 finely chopped red pepper for 5 mins.
2. Stir in 1 crushed garlic clove, fry for 1 min, tip in 400g chopped tomatoes and 500g gnocchi, then bring to a simmer.
3. Bubble for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the gnocchi is soft and the sauce has thickened.
4. Season, stir through a handful of torn basil leaves, then transfer into a large ovenproof dish.
5. Scatter with torn chunks of half a 125g mozzarella ball, then grill for 5-6 mins until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
Gather your housemates or friends around the table (or sofa) and enjoy!
All information sourced and shared by Unipad Student Housing Lancaster.